Horse Gulch Hustle Trail Run
A gnarly 13-mile run through the trails of Horse Gulch and Telegraph.
- Late Check-In: 7:00 AM to 8:00 AM
- Race Day Registration: none (you must pre-register)
- Start Time: 8:30 AM
- Location: Animas Surgical Hospital (575 Rivergate Lane, Durango, CO 81301)
The Horse Gulch Hustle links up single-track trail in the Telegraph and Horse Gulch trail systems.
Expect tough climbs rewarded with incredible views of Durango, the Animas River Valley, and the La Plata Mountains.
Click here to download a printable map.
The Horse Gulch Hustle features three aid stations spaced roughly every four miles along the course:
- Aid #1: Horse Gulch Meadow, 2.6 miles
- Aid #2: Horse Gulch Meadow, 6.0 miles
- Aid #3: Ewing Mesa, 10.0 miles
Aid stations are stocked with water and Tailwind Endurance Fuel. Please help us reduce waste by carrying your own bottle or hydration system.
Note: There is a 2 hour cut-off at Aid Station 2! This means you must maintain a pace of 20 minutes per mile or better to proceed beyond this point.
Detailed Course Description
- Begin at Animas Surgical Hospital.
- Head north along the old railroad grade toward Santa Rita Drive.
- Uniformed officer will help you safely cross CO-3 at Santa Rita Drive.
- Proceed north along the sidewalk for one block, then turn right at 3rd St and continue to the Horse Gulch trailhead.
- Continue up Horse Gulch Rd toward Horse Gulch Meadow.
- Arrive at Aid Station #1 — Horse Gulch Meadow (mile 2.6).
- Head up Horse Gulch Rd
- Proceed north 1.2 miles along Raider Ridge until you reach a junction with Rocky Road.
- Turn hard right onto Rocky Road, following it as it rolls and ultimately drops back to Horse Gulch meadow.
- Arrive at Aid Station #2 — Horse Gulch Meadow (mile 6.0).
- There is a 2 hour cut-off at Aid Station 2! This means you must maintain a pace of 20 minutes per mile or better to proceed.
- From the Horse Gulch aid station, proceed on the Meadow Trail, staying right on Telegraph Trail.
- Climb to Telegraph Saddle and complete a short out-and-back scramble up and down Pautsky’s Point.
- From the saddle, merge right onto Crites Connect and begin a long descent toward Ewing Mesa.
- Arrive at Aid Station #3 — Ewing Mesa (mile 10.2).
- From the Ewing Mesa aid station, descend one more mile until you reach CO Highway 3. Cross the highway (heeding course marshal instructions) and turn right onto a trail running along the east side of the Animas River.
- Follow this trail a mile further until it intersects Sawmill Rd.
- Continue briefly along the left shoulder of the road as the finish line comes into sight.
- Arrive at Finish (mile 13.1).
- Stick around for refreshments and cheer on the other runners!