Horse Gulch Hustle Trail Run
A challenging 12.7-mile run through the trails of Horse Gulch and Telegraph.
Race Day Info
- Late Packet Pickup: 7:00 AM to 8:00 AM
- Race Day Registration: none (you must pre-register)
- Start Time: 8:30 AM
- Location: Animas Surgical Hospital (575 Rivergate Lane, Durango, CO 81301)
The Horse Gulch Hustle links up single-track trail in the Telegraph and Horse Gulch trail systems.
Expect tough climbs rewarded with incredible views of Durango, the Animas River Valley, and the La Plata Mountains.
Click here to download a printer-friendly map.
The Horse Gulch Hustle features three aid stations, one roughly every three miles along the course:
- Aid #1: Horse Gulch Meadow, 2.3 miles
- Aid #2: Horse Gulch Meadow, 5.5 miles
- Aid #3: Ewing Mesa, 9.7 miles
- Finish: Animas Surgical Hospital, 12.7 miles
Aid stations are stocked with water and Tailwind Endurance Fuel. Please help us reduce waste by carrying your own bottle or hydration system.
Detailed Course Description
- Begin at Animas Surgical Hospital.
- Head north along the old railroad grade toward Santa Rita Drive.
- Uniformed officer will help you safely cross CO-3 at Santa Rita Drive.
- Proceed north along the sidewalk for one block, then turn right at 3rd St and continue to the Horse Gulch trailhead.
- Continue up Horse Gulch Rd toward Horse Gulch Meadow.
- Arrive at Aid Station #1 — Horse Gulch Meadow (mile 2.6).
- Proceed up Horse Gulch Road for another half mile, then turn left at the next signed junction.
- Climb the steeper, rockier grade until the junction with Rocky Road, just before the ridge.
- Turn right onto Rocky Road, following it as it rolls and ultimately climbs to Raider Ridge.
- Once Rocky Road tees into the Raider Ridge trail, make a sharp left.
- Follow Raider Ridge for several miles south, being sure to take in the awesome views!
- Make a sharp left onto a descending trail, which will return runners to Horse Gulch Meadow.
- Arrive at Aid Station #2 — Horse Gulch Meadow (mile 6.0).
- From the Horse Gulch aid station, proceed on Meadow Trail, staying right on Telegraph Trail.
- Climb to Telegraph Saddle and complete a short out-and-back, up and down Pautsky Point.
- From the saddle, bear right onto Crites Connect and begin the long descent to Ewing Mesa.
- Arrive at Aid Station #3 — Ewing Mesa (mile 10.2).
- From the Ewing Mesa aid station, descend one more mile until you reach CO Highway 3. Cross the highway (heeding course marshal instructions) and turn right onto a trail running along the east side of the Animas River.
- Follow this trail a mile further until it intersects Sawmill Rd.
- Continue briefly along the left shoulder of the road as the finish line comes into sight.
- Arrive at Finish (mile 13.1).
- Stick around for refreshments and cheer on the other runners!
Click here for Durango Double MTB Ride course information.